by Emma Hammond 0 comments
The times in my life I have found food to be the most stressful have been when I felt my hunger, cravings & energy RULED my life. I woke up & CRAVED coffee. I felt sorry for any fool who crossed my path (husband included) before I had my creamy caffeine fix to start my day. I could think of nothing else until that cup of joe was in my hands. While some of that was behavioral in that it was a habit I associated with waking up. It was also a physical dependency. I absolutely had a headache by 10am when I attempted to ward off the beverage for a day or two.
Mid-day chocolate yearning? Yes, been there done that. Every day like clock work my mouth literally watered for a sweet treat. AKA I kept my drawer stocked full of hershey kisses to sooth my afternoon energy slump.
Even worse for me was battled constant hunger? I would get up & eat a “healthy” breakfast with 400-600 calories, more than adequate to satisfy me for a few hours. Yet within 2 hours I felt my belly grumble & couldn’t stop staring at the clock until I reached an acceptable snack time or lunch break.
I couldn’t find a way to stay full, feel satisfied, not have a drop in my blood sugar & get away from eating by the clock! It was stressful & I felt like a slave to my bodies every whim. Sucks!!!
This is a typical cycle I work through with clients who are going through the same frustrations I have had. It’s a very personalized process to be honest & there is no “5 full proof steps” to conquer cravings, lose 5lbs & achieve your perfect bikini body. Sorry to burst the bubble but ANY information that states that….IS BS!! Run quickly in the other direction.
However there are practical steps to start working through if & when you find yourself becoming a slave to constant cravings, hunger & the inability to feel satisfied from your food:
- Are you hitting your protein needs? A quick review of most clients food journal automatically shows a lack of protein. The biggest building block to build/maintain muscle, balance blood sugar & create satiety between meals. This is the first hole to fill if it’s missing in your diet.
- Are you a fat or carb eater? This is individualized & based on your activity level. Some people thrive off a higher fat diet while others feel fueled on more whole food carbohydrates. I even have clients that feel better off carbs in the form of starch rather than sugar. Such as sweet potatoes over fruit. It takes time & listening to your body to see where you fall on this spectrum. Yes patience.
- Are you eating ENOUGH of the RIGHT foods? 200 calories of lean protein & fiber filled vegetables is not the same as 200 calories of chips. Sorry! Yes calories in vs calories out matter. But QUALITY of calories matter as well. You can easily be over eating while being undernourished. Leading to hunger, cravings & troubles regulating your nutrition. Plus if you are super activity & under eating, the same results are likely.
- Sleep & Stress: These are JUST as important to the energy equation as food & fitness. If you are under slept your body will be searching for outside stimulus to get you through. Especially that extra sugar & caffeine boost that give us a bump in serotonin. AKA happiness. This is not just feeling tired, it’s causing serious hormonal issues that will make any amount of willpower obsolete.\
- Are you out exercising your diet? I actually have a whole post about this coming next week BUT overexercising can cause hormonal dis-regulation. Especially if at the same time you are trying to “diet”. Talk about an additional stressor the body can’t handle. You don’t need to go balls to the walls 6x a week to try & lose body or stay in shape. In fact you MAY be directly keeping you from achieving those goals.
This IS a process with trial & error, slips, struggles & self experimentation. There will be times of 1 step forward & 2 steps back. Moments you have it all figured out & moments you fall back into old habits. THAT IS OK! Patience, consistency & self compassion my friends.
If you can take a step back & have an objective view, what you can discover can be life changing. You can start to identify trends, triggers & learn how to adjust based on your ever changing lifestyle. As we don’t live stationary lives & our activity, desires & goals change throughout the years. Being able to roll with the punches is freedom!
This is what I do in my 1-1 & group coaching programs with clients. We walk through each individual activity level, sleep, stress, food, fitness, health history & so on. TOGETHER we systematically experiment with what makes them feel, perform & sustains them from a whole person perspective. We are not OUR diet or exercise regiment! If you are ready to take the journey to learn how to balance your food, fitness & find what fulfills I guarantee YOU are worth the commitment.
Looking for more ways to take charge of your hunger & cravings? Click here to sign up for my bi-weekly newsletter. Filled with recipes, workouts & all the in between to optimize your life!balanced meals, cravings, hunger, overexercising, protein, sleep, stress