For many years I overlooked, ignored & completely neglected the amazing vegetable known as cauliflower. At first glance this boringly white & oddly shaped cruciferous veggie seemed to simply be a garnish added to a cheap vegetable tray. Nothing like cold, raw cauliflower to turn most people off adding it to the grocery cart. However over the past year I have found it to be one of the most versatile veggies, boasting a tons of unknown health benefits.
A Closer Look at Cauliflower Nutrition:
- Nutrition Stats: 1 cup cooked = 29 calories.
- Vitamin & Mineral Content: a serving contains 77% of the recommended daily value of vitamin C. It's also a good source of vitamin K, protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, and manganese.
- Brain Benefits: a good source of choline, a B vitamin known for its role in brain development.
- Detox Properties: includes antioxidant nutrients to boost Phase 1 detoxification activities and sulfur-containing nutrients to boost Phase 2 activities.
- Digestive Support: contains 9 grams of fiber for every 100 calories.
- Additional Health Links: includes anti-inflammatory, cancer fighting & cardiovascular improving properties.
- Mashed Cauliflower: I love mashed cauliflower as a creamy side dish to any main meal. We use this basic method & mix it up by adding different herbs, cheeses & additional seasonings for any occasion.
- Shepherd's Pie: We use this mashed cauliflower dish to top a basic shepherd's pie recipe, which is posted here. It's a great way to lighten up a heavy dish plus add additional vegetables to your day.
- Cauliflower Rice/Cous Cous: This is another fun way to cook cauliflower that takes a short amount of time to throw together. I love this method as it can easily be seasoned to go with any flavor profile you are aiming for.
Here is our basic how to:
~ Additional cauliflower rice flavor combos to try out:
Lemon & Garlic: Lemon adds a fresh punch to any recipe. This paired amazingly with simple grilled chicken & sauteed asparagus.
Spanish Rice: Looking to lighten up a mexican meal at home? Give this a try! We served a side with steak fajitas & the must have homemade guacamole.
Fried Rice: Making an asian style stir fry but want to skip the rice or increase the vegetables on the plate? Sub in this fried rice style cauliflower to round out the meal.
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust: We made the infamous low-carb pizza crust a couple of times & really enjoyed the final product. We followed the recipe here & added our own his & her topping combos of preference. Cooking tips: Get as much moisture out of the riced cauliflower as possible & go light on the toppings. Too much cheese & heavy toppings will weigh down the delicate crust.
- More Fun Way to Enjoy Cauliflower:
Cracklin Cauliflower: a flavorful curried version, roasted with tons of taste.
Roasted Garlic & Cauliflower Soup: a great way to warm you up in the winter months.
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites: a fun way to entertain a crowd with a healthy twist.
Cauliflower Steak w/ Chimichurri: an eye catching dish that pleases a dinner party.Question: Any favorite ways you have enjoyed getting creative with cauliflower?