by Emma Hammond 0 comments
There is nothing that makes me happier than walking in the gym to see a floor full of motivated people of all ages working out. I absolutely believe that showing up & doing SOMETHING is better then sitting on the sofa. However I also tend to see the same hard working face, walking through the same workout routine 5 days a week year after year. And guess what? They look exactly the same year after usually. Often still talking about wanting lose that last 10lbs or look more “toned” or whatever their goal may be.
Frustrating right? It breaks my heart every time I see people being consistent, working what they perceive to be hard & putting in the time to no results. Ready to change that? Me too! First up, my Top 6 Common Mistakes I see gym goers making that are stealing their results. Ask yourself, is this you?
1. Not Following a Program: You walk into the gym & blankly look around at the equipment like a lost puppy dog. With no rhyme or reason you do a few curls here, maybe try out that ab machine there, 10 reps no 20? After 20 minutes of a miscellaneous mash up “workout” you hit the door. Kudos for showing up but I can promise you there are more effective ways to use that 20 minutes. Decide what your #1 goal is & find a program that fits.
2. Never Changing Up Your Plan: Wait didn’t you just say stick to a program? Well yes..but it is also important to mix it up in an smart & progressive way. I see the most consistent faces in the gym hitting the same 5 machines in a row or getting on the elliptical at the same pace for 45 minutes Monday through Friday. Your body adapts to that & is not going to push to make the changes you are seeking.
3. Not Challenging Yourself with Heavier Weights: Not to hate on the pretty pink dumbbells but if you are lifting a weight you could repeat all day, it’s not heavy enough. Yet again, you have to challenge your body! You don’t need to go to failure every time but as a general rule the last few reps should be VERY difficult. Please don’t be afraid to get bulky, that is all diet & you will not wake up tomorrow looking like the Hulk. And if you do, try to get a better hairstyle..
4. Focusing on Small Muscle Groups Over Compound Movements: I understand that everyone enjoys the burn of some ab work, tricep dips & manly bicep curls. BUT those are small muscle groups that can be worked within then more beneficial compound movements. It’s fine if you want to throw a few of those exercises in at the end but the bulk of your workout should be big muscle group movements like squats, pulling, pressing & hip hinging. Unless you are a professional body builder, please ditch the abs & arms day.
5. Too Much Cardio: I’m going to leave this response a little short because this isn’t the post for a cardio rant BUT doing tons of cardio every week is not going to make you “toned”, feel sexy naked, have a fast metabolism, bone health & so on. In fact, doing too much will make it impossible to achieve any of that. Yes even if your goal is fat loss! Doing some is fine but balance it with strength training & gear cardio towards interval workouts for you best body yet.
6. Constantly Searching for the “Perfect Plan”: You try a plan for a week & say “I don’t see any difference” so you jump ship & find a new one. Results takes time, embrace the process! There is NO perfect program & many different formats can work amazingly. Especially if you are a newbie gym goer. Find one that fits your goals, lifestyle, time availability & that you can stick to. Give it a try for MONTHS, not days or weeks! I promise it will pay off.
Ok time to fess up…raise your hand if you are guilty of one or more of these? Don’t worry I have absolutely been there! Here are a few action steps you can take today to change you workouts, fitness levels & mindset towards getting results:
- Write down you TOP goal. Yes I know we all want to lose 10lbs, build muscle, run a race & so on but having too many goals leaves us spinning our wheels. Decide what is most important for the next 12 weeks to start an action program to get you there.
- Talk to a Professional: even if you can’t workout with a trainer, run coach or yoga instructor 3 days a week, we are here to help! Set up a consult to discuss what you’d like to accomplish, your health history, current activity level, lifestyle & let them guide you to a realistic plan you can feel good about.
- Analyze Your Lifestyle: I don’t know how many times new clients start with me & say I have to workout to lose these last 10lbs. When I ask about their diet, sleep & stress? It’s a hot mess. As the phrase goes, you can’t out exercise a bad diet but the same goes for stressful lifestyle factors. Total picture!
Ready to do it? Let’s go! What’s your TOP goal with your fitness routine??
Have a question? Email me now – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ready for more exclusive workouts, nutrition tips, recipes & more? Click HERE to get receive my weekly newsletter, full of helpful guides to get you the results you are working for!exercise programs, Fitness, smart exercise, workout, workout programs